Monday 7 November 2022

November

 November marks the approaching cold season, count down to the end of the year, and, of course, NaNoWriMo. I am busy polishing off the manuscript that was born during last year NaNoWriMo. After a year with the characters, they are basically part of the family (in my head at least).

I was noting down ideas for the next project throughout the year, too. NaNoWriMo is ideal for that: putting the ideas together and shaping a story. First draft, mad creation, whatever you call it, knowing that there is a challenge to write certain amount of words each day is perfect for that. But, in all honesty, I knew I wouldn't manage this year. I participate every other year anyway and even though I was tempted, I had to be realistic.

This is my first year with a job of sort. I am freelancing, not working full time, but it makes a difference. I have to be more organized, more flexible with my time, and (sigh) my housewifing won't do itself. Besides, I am not putting much effort into networking and promoting myself in the working field and I am doing very very miniscule effort with promoting and marketing my writing.

So what if instead of writing I started the more difficult thing - talking, communicating, promoting? Wouldn't it be a challenge on itself? Much harder than the desired word count.

I was seeing myself writing and updating my blog every day, posting on social networks, researching all the possible ways of making people aware of my stories... Let's see. We are one week into November and I am hoping to finish and publish the first post of the month that was of course meant to be out last week. I had a hectic week, more work than usual and after ticking off all the tasks each day, writing was lacking behind. Only scribbled notes are a witness that my brain didn't give up. But I was also feeling proud and very accomplished. I have managed to do everything I had to, I did it well and I ended the week on a high note, because I was feeling good. Not exhausted, drained and in need of rest, but balanced and happy. Because I have made time for myself. I still woke up early every day, had my practise, took care of myself as well as the others, ate right... Isn't it easy to forgo all these little things in the pursuits of other goals?

So my plans for this very productive month (because what we don't do in November, creative-wise, we will truly struggle to accomplish in December) is to be as creative, open, communicative as I can, but also not to forget to keep things in balance. Yes, I want to sell books. But also, I want to be in the best mood and health possible. I won't have a chart on the NaNoWriMo website cheering me on, there will be no badges, but I hope that I will be able to reward myself with the knowledge that I have done the best that I could. That is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment